Smoked Haddock and Cauliflower Cheese


I didn't eat this myself this evening but I have it on very good authority from my husband that it was absolutely delicious. He said it was fit to be served at The Ivy, London. We have only been there once on a lunchtime years and years ago, but this meal obviously brought it to the forefront of his mind tonight. Not a bad compliment. 
This recipe is from John Torode in Olive Magazine. I"ll make sure I get to eat it next time.

Ingredients
Serves 4
½ a small cauliflower, broken into florets
whole milk, for poaching (I couldn't see the point in poaching the florets in milk and just used water)
butter, for greasing
200g young spinach, wilted
4 pieces skinless smoked haddock fillet, approx 125g each
25g butter
25g plain flour
300ml whole milk
100g Gruyère, grated, plus a handful to top
1 egg yolk ( I forgot to add this)


Method
Heat the oven to 200ºC. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Gradually stir in the milk until you have a smooth sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes then stir in the cheese until melted. Cool a little, season, then stir in the egg yolk.
Put the cauliflower in a pan and just cover with half milk and half water. Bring to the boil then simmer for two minutes. Drain well.
Butter 4 heatproof dishes and divide the spinach between them. Mix most of the sauce with the cauliflower and divide between the dishes. Put a haddock fillet on top of each and finish with a little more sauce and more gruyère. Bake for 12-15 minutes until bubbling.


Note: I used one large dish instead of individual dishes.


Comments

Popular Posts