Pea soup

This is a good standby when the cupboards and fridge are empty, as they are again today. It's made with frozen garden peas and vegetable stock. It's ready in the time it takes to defrost the peas in the stock. The children used to call it "Shrek soup" as it looks like something Shrek would eat, but tastes a lot nicer. It could have done with more peas to make it a little thicker, but I had to make do with what I had. I keep the rinds of parmesan cheese in the freezer, and today I put this in with the soup while it was cooking. It just gives a little more flavour. I had some fresh breadcrumbs in the freezer, so I just fried them until crisp and sprinkled them on top. Not necessary, but a nice accompaniment.


Ingredients
Serves 2
500g frozen peas
500 ml of vegetable stock (I used bouillon)


Method
Put the frozen peas and the stock in a saucepan and heat until the peas are defrosted. Puree with a hand blender until smooth and serve.


Crispy bacon bits would be good sprinkled on top.







Comments

  1. What a great idea with the parmesan rinds - I'll have to start doing that. I love pea soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a Nigella tip at some point. I forgot to mention removing them before you puree the soup. Happy easter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts