Traditional Trifle

I made a chocolate amaretti cake today for a dinner party, I have made this numerous times before and it's always been successful. Today, however this was not the case. I'm not sure what happened, but the cake was burnt on top and too moist in the middle. Despite appearances it tasted really good, so I decided to make a trifle as I couldn't really rescue it as it was. I figured once it was covered with raspberries and doused with some amaretto liqueur it couldn't fail to taste nice. This is a very simple but really delicious Trifle from "Delias complete illustrated cookery course". The recipe uses custard made from scratch, but I have only ever used ready made custard.







Ingredients
Serves 6-8
5 trifle sponge cakes (or other cake chopped up)
some raspberry jam
225g frozen raspberries - no need to defrost (I used fresh ones) 
2 fl oz sherry
2 small bananas, peeled and sliced thinly (I did not use these)
2 tins of ready made custard
16 fl oz of double cream whipped


Method
Break the sponge cakes in pieces and spread a little jam on each piece. Then put them into a large glass bowl and sprinkle raspberries and sherry over them, giving everything a good stir to soak up the sherry.
Slice the bananas, sprinkle them amongst the raspberries and pour the custard over the sponge cakes. Whip up the cream and spread it over the top. Decorate if you want with flaked almonds or grated chocolate. Cover and chill for 3 or 4 hours before serving.

For my version today I didn't use the jam, there was enough flavour in the cake. I used Amaretto Liqueur instead of the sherry. I grated chocolate on top and sprinkled the top with red edible glitter. Thanks to my friend Karen for the gorgeous bowl she gave me as a gift. Anything would look good in it. I haven't tasted the trifle yet but I'm pretty sure it's going to be good.

Comments

Popular Posts