Pork with Mustard Sauce

I like cooking with pork fillet, it's a really good cut of meat, tender and quick to cook. My usual dish to cook with this is Pork Saltimbocca, but I'll save that one to cook for a dinner party. Pork in mustard sauce was a favourite meal of mine before the children came along, so I thought I'd give it a try tonight. We all enjoyed it, though Rachel thought it was lacking in sauce. They both ate it all, apart from the bit that James flicked across the table, which landed in my hair. Don't ask, but I didn't find it as funny as they did. I used Marsala in the sauce as I had no wine open, I can not open wine and just cook with it, it has to be drunk. I used half fat creme fraiche instead of cream, the sauce was a wee bit thick.  Next time I'll use wine and cream. I added some sage leaves, but they are not essential to the flavour. This is a variation from Nigel Slater's "Appetite". He has some fabulous recipes that I have been reminded of whilst flicking through his cook books tonight. 


Ingredients
Serves 4  
Approx 450g of pork fillet cut into round slices or 4 pork escalopes 
seasoned plain flour
a glass of white wine
a dollop of wholegrain mustard
a small carton of double cream (you will know how much to add)


Method
Flatten the pieces of pork with a rolling pin as flat as they will go without breaking up the meat. Heat a knob of butter in the frying pan. Coat the pork in the seasoned flour and add to the frying pan. Cook the pork on both sides on a high heat until cooked through, a few minutes each side if they are thin enough. Remove the meat to a warmed dish in a warm oven. Hopefully they will leave some good bits in the pan, pour in the wine and stir in the bits, reduce the wine by half. Add the cream, mustard and season to taste. let it bubble away until you have a lovely creamy sauce. then pour over the pork and serve with your desired accompaniment. 



Comments

Popular Posts