Lamb Ragu with Papperdelle Pasta


What a lovely change from the usual minced beef Ragu this meal from 'Nigellissima' was. I left it cooking for longer than she stated in the recipe, it would be difficult to overcook it. I loved the sweetness from the redcurrant jelly, and didn't feel the need to smother it with Parmesan, which I would normally do with a ragu sauce. There was snow on the ground last night and the kids came in from sledging to this warming, comforty meal, which we all really enjoyed for a change these days. I doubled the recipe for four of us, but didn't add two tins of tomatoes, I added some tomato puree instead, as I thought it might be a bit runny. 

Ingredients
Serves 2
For the lamb ragu
1½ tablespoons garlic infused olive oil (I added some garlic cloves to olive oil)
4 spring onions (finely sliced)
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon chillies (crushed)
250g minced lamb (I used lean minced lamb)
240g chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
1.5 teaspoon worcester sauce
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
250g pappardelle
For the serving
1 handful fresh mint (I used curled parsley in the absence of mint)


Method
Put a large pan of water on to boil for the pasta, and warm the garlic oil in a small, heavy-based pan that comes with a lid, and cook the spring onions, stirring for a minute or so.
Sprinkle in the herbs and chilli, stirring again before adding the meat. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring, until it loses a bit of its pinkness.
Add the tomatoes, redcurrant jelly, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, then give a good stir and bring to a bubble. Partially cover with the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
At the appropriate time, salt the boiling water and cook the pasta according to packet instructions, and once cooked and drained, dress with the lamb ragù. Sprinkle a little bit of fresh mint onto each bowl to serve.

Comments

  1. Looks tempting. Added to my culinary bucket-list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for commenting even though you never actually cook the recipes. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts