Jamie Oliver's Harissa Spiced Chicken

 


One of my favourite meals is Jamies Roast Tikka Chicken , I cook that meal time and time again. So on Sunday I thought I would try a different recipe from the 5 ingredients cookbook. Although I really enjoyed this I didn't enjoy it as much as the Tikka Chicken. I don't think cutting the chicken and laying it flat served much of a purpose, so this step is optional. I added new potatoes as I was a bit short on peppers. The flavours were wonderful and it's one of those great dishes that just gets thrown in together with minimal effort. 

You may think I'm doing nothing else but thinking about food at the moment, you may be right.


Ingredients
Serves 4
4 mixed-colour peppers
2 red onions
1 x 1.2 kg whole free-range chicken
4 heaped teaspoons rose harissa
4 sprigs of fresh mint

Method
Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
Deseed the peppers and tear into big chunks, peel and quarter the onions and break apart into petals, then place it all in a 30cm x 40cm roasting tray.
Use a large sharp knife to carefully cut down the back of the chicken, so you can open it out flat, then score the legs. Add to the tray with the harissa, and a little sea salt, black pepper and red wine vinegar. Toss well, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies of the chicken.
Sit the chicken flat on top of the veg, skin side up, and roast it all for 50 minutes, or until gnarly and cooked through. Pick over the mint leaves before dishing up.

Comments

Popular Posts