Vegetarian Carbonara

 



When my daughter was home from University at easter we watched the Seaspiracy documentary on Netflix. And as much as I do enjoy fish it has completely put me off buying fish. If you want to carry on eating fish don't watch the programme. The sides of salmon I have previously bought from supermarkets, farmed in Scotland are something I will avoid from now on. My daughter had decided she will try to be vegetarian and so I cooked a lot of  vegetarian food when she was home and I have carried on cooking more for just me and my husband. I won't say I am giving up meat but will eat it less often and make sure if I do eat it I will buy better quality meat if I can. 


So usually I would make carbonara with bacon but we enjoyed this version without just as much. 


I just beat 3 eggs and seasoned the eggs with salt and pepper. I added some lemon juice and rind of the lemon and lots of freshly grated Parmesan to the eggs . I cooked the spaghetti then added the egg mixture once the spaghetti was cooked just to lightly coat the spaghetti but not cook the egg. I  added some fresh spinach to wilt in too. You could add cream to the egg mixture if you wanted a slightly creamier version.

I fried some breadcrumbs with olive oil and added some chilli flakes to sprinkle onto the pasta. Serve immediately on warm plates with more parmesan scattered over. 


Comments

Popular Posts