Changing times



This post isn’t about a recipe , I’m sure I’ve a recipe for a frittata or Spanish tortilla on my blog somewhere. There has never been a better time to meal plan. It Is clearly more difficult to go shopping in a normal fashion let alone get certain food products. So thinking about what you want to eat and making sure we don’t waste anything is going to become the normal for the time being. I’ve always tried to adopt those strategies anyway as I hate throwing away food so I would always make soup from vegetables that were past their best or a pasta sauce . This frittata was a way of using up eggs, chorizo,  some tomatoes that were a little too soft to eat and some tired looking spinach. I’m looking in my cupboards and sussing out what I’ve got as store cupboards ingredients and checking my spices and there will always be something to eat even if it’s not the wonderful food we are used to. The other day I had left over mashed potato from the previous evening , I added a tin of tuna, two rather pathetic spring onions, a few capers, which I always have in the fridge . I dipped them in egg and coated in some packet breadcrumbs and fried them until golden brown and they were delicious. So it’s just about thinking of what you have and what you can concoct with those ingredients. I’m usually quite good at that because there are a lot of times I go to the fridge and cupboards and think I have nothing for tea, then manage to rustle  something up that’s really quite nice . Anyway enough waffling. I’m going to put my email address on here and if anyone needs any ideas on what to cook with the contents of their fridge and cupboards let me know and I’ll try and give you some ideas. I’ll also put a list below of some store cupboard and fridge/freezer essentials that I feel we should all try and have in in the coming months. I appreciate some of the ingredients are difficult to get hold of at the moment, notably tomatoes and pasta, but hopefully things will calm down.  I’ll add to it when I think of other things. 

Chopped tomatoes 
Tomato purée
Rice
Lentils
Eggs
Cheddar cheese 
Garlic
Lazy ginger (jar) 
Lazy chilli (jar)
Lazy garlic (jar)
Jars of tomato sauces 
Large Pitta Breads to freeze
stir fry sauces
Sundried tomato jars 
Parmesan 
Dark chocolate 
Bouillon stock
Feta cheese
Capers
Thai curry sauces
Indian curry sauces 
Olives
Tuna
Chorizo
Sweet corn
Mayonnaise
Flour 
Sweet chilli sauce
Frozen peas
Frozen prawns 
Pasta any sort 
Cous cous 
Halloumi cheese
Peppers fresh or in jar
Anchovies 
Pesto
Herbs and Spices 
Tinned beans any variety
Onions fresh or frozen 
Coconut milk
Soy sauce
Vinegars
Olive oil
Chickpeas
Frozen spinach 
Frozen fruit

My email, goodfood.redshoes@gmail.com 

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post Sally. Really useful. When you suddenly have a houseful 24/7 the food planning & cooking certainly takes on a whole new dimension. I feel that's half the day at the moment, but I'm lucky enough to have that time, and enjoying the variety that we've had so far. I'm sure to be in touch soon for more inspiration. Love to you and all the family. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly takes up alot of my time, trying to get a food shop and meal planning for longer periods. In true Steve style he has made a very long list of meals which we rotate and that makes shopping alot easier.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts