Chicken with a tomato, caper and anchovy sauce




I had something very similar at a friends house last week and enjoyed it so much I wanted to try and recreate the dish last night. I didn't have the exact recipe, so I just had to guess what was in the sauce, but it was a pretty good attempt. I'll get the full recipe though just incase I missed anything out, but for now this is what I used. It's not too dissimilar to Hunters Chicken, which is one of my families favourite meals. I left this cooking at a low heat in the oven for about 4½ hours, but at a higher heat I would think it would take an hour or so. It would be a good slow cooker meal too. 

Ingredients
Serves 4 - 6
olive oil
2 packs of skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
4 anchovy fillets (more if you want a stronger flavour)
a splash of red wine (I only had Rose open, so I used that)
a heaped tablespoon of capers (or more depending on how much you like them)
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper for seasoning

Method
Heat the oven to 180ºC. 
In a large frying pan or casserole dish heat the olive oil and brown all the chicken thighs. Remove from the pan and fry the onion and garlic until golden and softened. Add the anchovy fillets until they have started to disintegrate. Put the chicken back in the pan and add the tinned tomoatoes and capers. Add some black pepper and bring the dish up to simmering point. Once simmering place in an oven proof dish in the oven and cook until the chicken is well and truly cooked and tender. I don't think you can overcook this, but just make sure the sauce doesn't dry up. Check the seasoning and serve with lovely mashed potatoes or roast potatoes and greens. 



Comments

Popular Posts