Nasi Goreng


I have had another blip. I am not sure what's wrong but I'm not really experimenting of late. I'm sticking to dishes I have always made, sometimes cooking double the quantity so I don't have to cook the following day. I've lost my mojo somewhat. Perhaps because for the period of time my son was home following Christmas and then way into New Year cooking became a bit of a pain and a chore. Perhaps because the way life is at the moment is getting to us all. Anyway I must find my enthusiasm again or else there is no point in having a cooking blog is there? This gorgeous recipe is something I made a good while ago, I follow an instagram account called My Primrose Hill Kitchen and I found the recipe on there. This is a veggie version, but I am sure that you could add prawns or chicken if you wanted a non vegetarian version.


Serves 4.

Ingredients:
1 onion finely sliced
2 carrots thickly grated
½ a small cabbage shredded
½ cup of thawed frozen peas
4 minced cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
2 x 250 bags of cooked brown basmati rice (or cook your own rice)
1 ½ tablespoons of fish sauce or tamarind
1½ teaspoons of maple syrup
3 tablespoons of soya sauce
3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 eggs

To serve:
A few salad onions cut into fine slivers or finely chopped
Lime wedges
A handful of crispy fried onions 
Chilli sauce (I think Sriracha is the best)
Some diced cucumber (optional)
A small bunch of Coriander finely chopped
A big bag of prawn crackers

Method
In a large frying pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and gently fry the onions until they start to caramelise and brown. About five minutes.
Now add the the ginger, carrots, garlic and shredded cabbage and stir fry until they get tender, about another 5 minutes.
Open the bags of rice and empty the rice straight into the pan with the soya sauce, the maple syrup, peas, and the fish sauce and stir fry until the rice is heated through. Season to taste.
Leave off the heat while you fry the eggs in the rest of the olive oil.
Place the rice on plates and top with one fried egg per person.
Scatter with the spring onions, the crispy onions and the coriander.
Serve with lime wedges, diced cucumber and prawn crackers and let people help themselves to the Sriracha sauce (it’s quite hot).







 

Comments

Popular Posts