Duck Breast in a Morello Cherry Sauce

 



Perhaps you are missing eating out in this second lockdown? I know a lot of restaurants are trying to keep going by doing take away food for the month and it's a great thing if you can support them. I have tried the Cote at Home meals as Cote Brasserie is a favourite of mine when I do eat out. At the moment there is free delivery in lockdown, though the minimum order is £40 and at this time of year that may seem quite a lot to spend. It's still cheaper than eating in the restaurant and I would say the quality was excellent. Thinking about it though, it would seem wiser to support local independent restaurants in this time who really will be struggling this month. 

Last night I cooked this duck breast in cherry sauce, I posted this recipe a longtime ago and I probably haven't cooked it since, which is odd because it is so delicious.  Both my husband and I thought it was as good as any meal we have had in a restaurant recently, and of course a fraction of the price. So I just thought I would post it again as a little reminder if you wanted a special meal this weekend, where ordinarily you might be booking your favourite restaurant. I slightly over cooked the duck as I usually like it quite pink, but it was still beautifully tender.


For the roast potatoes, I didn't peel them or parboil them, I just seasoned them and drizzled them with olive oil  and roasted them in a hot oven for about an hour. I scored and seasoned the duck skin and fried them without oil on each side for a few minutes, then placed them in the oven with the potatoes to finish cooking. The instructions said 15-18 minutes, but I would say that was a bit too long. For the sauce I used Bonne Maman Cherry jam which I heated in a small pan, seasoned and added some red wine and let it bubble away until it was needed. Leave the duck breasts to rest in foil for about 10 minutes. Carve into slices and serve with vegetables and the cherry sauce poured over. 

Comments

Popular Posts