Roasted Vegetable Wellington





I was recently browsing through a leaflet that my mum had from the company 'Cook' who  deliver very good ready made meals by post. They have a huge range of meals in different size servings which taste so homemade you could even pass them off as your own. 
Not that I would ever do that 😁.

Looking through the choices I saw the description of these roasted vegetable wellingtons and I thought that they sounded easy enough to make at home.  Now I'm not a huge fan of aubergines or courgettes so it was strange that it took my fancy in the first place. But I thought the combination of those vegetables with the cheese sauce and the relish sounded very tasty. So I had a go last night and I must say they were wonderful.  I didn't really weigh or measure the ingredients so I'll just write a basic guide to the recipe.  I made 3 individual Wellingtons.

Earlier in the day I chopped two courgettes and a large aubergine into small chunks and drizzled them in olive oil, I seasoned them with salt and pepper and Aleppo flakes (or chilli Flakes). I roasted them in a hot oven until they were nicely cooked and slightly browned. I heated half a tub of mascarpone cheese in a pan and added some mozzarella and some grated cheddar and heated this until it was all melty and combined. I left both the vegetables and the cheese sauce to cool until later when needed.

Just before cooking I left the ready roll puff pastry at room temperature for 10 mins then cut it into 3 bits width ways. I placed the vegetable mixture in the middle of the 3 strips. The cook recipe used a red pepper relish to top the vegetables but as I didn't have this I used a very delicious fig and balsamic relish from Waitrose, a gift from my mum in law. Anything with a slight sweetness would work for this. Then I topped this with the cheese mixture. I fashioned a parcel as well as I could, as I felt that there was slighlty too much in the parcel and was a bit worried it would all ooze out. I brushed the pastry with a beaten egg and placed in an oven at 200℃ for about 20 minutes until golden. There was some oozing from the parcels but this didn't matter.  

The photo doesn't really show the filling but I can assure you they tasted divine and for someone who isn't a great fan of those two vegetables that's saying something. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts