Good housekeeping recipe for the Ultimate Brownies

Add caption

I have lost count of how many cakes I have made in lockdown. Along with the rest of the population I think, given how hard it is to buy baking ingredients at the moment. As lovely as the cakes are I don't think you can beat a good chocolate brownie.
How do you find the perfect brownie recipe? Yesterday my friend said that she had never made brownies that hadn't turned out dry, so I sent her my trusty chocolate fudge brownie recipe from my blog which I have used the majority of the time. Thankfully they were a great success. They are crunchy on the top and chewy in the middle, but not very thick. Yesterday I tried a new recipe for brownies which I found on the Good Housekeeping site. They were so simple to make, and although they were dark and dense in the middle they weren't quite as squidgy and moist as I would have li
ked. So today I made another batch for a friends birthday, as I haven't been to a shop I had to resort to something homemade. I cooked them for about 5 minutes less than yesterday and I'd say they were pretty perfect. They were moist and squidgy on the inside , nicely risen and more importantly tasted great. The only ones to beat them were the salted caramel brownies I made when I visited my daughter at college last year. I'll post the recipe for those soon. Rachel claimed they were the best brownies she had ever tasted.


Ingredients
175 g unsalted butter, chopped, plus extra to grease
150 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
medium eggs
300 g caster sugar
75 g plain flour
40 g cocoa powder

Icing sugar, optional, to dust


Method
Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water). When the mixture is melted and smooth, lift the bowl off the pan and set aside to cool for 20min.

Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4 and lightly grease and line a 20.5cm square tin with baking parchment. Using a handheld electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until thick and moussey - about 5min.

Add the melted and cooled chocolate mixture to the egg bowl and fold together with a large metal spoon. Sift over the flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt and fold together.

Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin, level and bake for 30min or until there is no wobble left when you gently shake the tin. I would check them at about 23 minutes. You definitely want them slightly undercooked and squidgy . Cool completely in the tin before dusting with icing sugar (if you like) and cutting into squares. 






Comments

Popular Posts