Chicken and pepper pie with black beans



This is just a great midweek meal which I made in a big quantity and had 2 nights in a row. The first night I cooked the tortilla chips to accompany it and they were great but the second night I had the healthier option of just broccoli. I didn’t feel the need for any carbs as the black beans make the dish suitably filling . I guess I’m making more things with tomato based sauces as they are healthier and more slimming but again this dish isn’t missing out on any flavour. I used a mixture of chicken breasts and thighs, but I think the thighs give more flavour.I found the recipe on the delicious website . 

Ingredients 
Serves 6
Splash of veg oil
1kg sliced skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs
1 large sliced red onion
2 finely sliced orange peppers
35g Mexican spice blend ( Old El Paso Smoky BBQ Fajita Seasoning Mix),
2 x 400g tins of tomatoes
400g tin of black beans
300ml hot chicken stock
8 tortilla wraps
Handful of chopped fresh coriander


Method
Heat a splash of veg oil in a casserole. Brown the chicken thighs in batches. Add the sliced red onion and peppers and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the spice blend, then return the chicken to the pan with the tomatoes, a black beans, drained and rinsed, and hot chicken stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 35 minutes to thicken.
Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180°C, cut the tortilla wraps into wedges and bake for 6-8 minutes until golden. Serve some on top of the pie with a handful of chopped fresh coriander and the rest alongside.

Comments

Popular Posts