Hairy Dieters Paprika Chicken



For some reason I’ve always skipped past this recipe in the Hairy Dieters cook book, but I’m happy that I decided to give it a try. I’m watching my weight again and this recipe ticked all the boxes of the slimming world meal plan. Yes, slimming world, the first time I’ve ever gone to a group to lose weight.it seems my self motivation isn’t that great so the thought of having to be accountable in front of a load of other people is giving me the push I need. It’s early days and I’m eating a lot of food but cutting out some snacks, cakes, cheese, crisps, chocolate, biscuits, wine. Oh my goodness that’s everything I like. I’m making healthier choices with meals too, not great when you want to do a food blog. I’m hoping if I get to a weight I’m happy with I can be sensible through the week and be a bit more lax at the weekend. Still I’ve got a way to go yet. These recipes don’t feel like you are missing out on any flavour, that’s why I like them, even if you’re not watching you’re weight it’s a lovely meal. 

Ingredients
Serves 6
1 tbsp Olive oil or sunflower oil
2 medium onions, halved and sliced 
12 boneless chicken thighs (I used chicken breasts)
1 tbsp of smoked paprika
2 Garlic cloves peeled and chopped 
400g can of chopped tomatoes 
400 ml chicken stock 
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried mixed herbs 
3 large peppers, red , yellow and green
1 tbsp of cornflour
1 tbsp of cold water
6 tbsp half fat creme fraiche 
Ground black pepper 


Method 
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish and fry the onions over a medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes until soft and and lightly coloured, stirring  regularly. Put the chicken on a board and cut away any visible fat. Cut each thigh in half, season with ground black pepper and add to the pan.

Cook the chicken with the onions for 4 to 5 minutes until lightly coloured on each side. Stir in the garlic and paprika and cook for one minute more. Tip the tomatoes into the pan, pour over the chicken stock and add the bay leaves and mixed herbs. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover the pan loosely with a lid and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

While the vegetables are cooking, cut the peppers in half and deseed.  Cut them into chunky pieces, each about 3 cm. Add the peppers to the chicken and cook everything for another 25 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender.

Mix the cornflour and water together to make a smooth paste, stir this into the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce is thick, stirring constantly

Serve the paprika chicken topped with a little half a fat crème fraîche. Lovely with a 
small portion of rice or some mashed potatoes


Comments

Popular Posts