Courgette and mint Frittata











Inspiration for food comes from many sources. I have been on a beautiful trip with my husband for our first child free holiday in 19 years. First to Seville and then to Venice.
For two days before the trip we stayed with our family in London and the sun was shining enough to lunch in the garden. My sister in law Ady is one of the best cooks I know, she makes wonderful food in a blink of an eye. The Victoria sponge cake she made for our arrival was just delicious.

We had this frittata for lunch while we were there from a cookbook by Skye McAlpine called, A Table in Venice. Ady is in love with Venice and now I know why. Each time I visit Ady she inspires me with new recipes and I invariably come home and try them. I have, needless to say had to purchase this cookbook, which is packed with wonderful recipes and gorgeous photos of that beautiful city. So this one I made for lunch today.
After 8 days in Seville we were slightly tired of tapas, there was only so much chorizo and ham croquettes I could eat. Though the aubergines deep fried and drizzled in honey and the spinach and chickpeas were a delight.
In Venice we had such a lovely apartment that we ate at home for a couple of evenings but also tried some of the local dishes through the day. Maybe I’m a bit strange but I don’t like eating out all of the time on holiday and enjoy going to the supermarket and trying to recreate some of the local dishes . That’s part of the holiday for me too. 


I made this on a slightly smaller scale for two of us, using one large courgette and five eggs, I used cheddar cheese as I didn’t have pecorino.

INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp of Olive oil
1 medium Onion, sliced
A generous pinch of salt
3 medium Courgettes , thinly sliced
8 large eggs
100g Grated pecorino cheese
3 sprigs Fresh mint, leaves finely chopped

Method
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Toss in the onion along with a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion begins to turn translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the courgettes and cook, stirring, just long enough for them to color a little, 3 to 5 minutes.Remove the pan from the heat.

In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, and stir in the grated cheese and mint. Pour the cooked vegetables from the pan into the bowl, stir well, season with a little more salt if you like, and then pour the frittata mixture back into the pan. Set over medium-low heat and cook until golden on the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip the frittata over by turning the frittata out onto a plate, then gently nudging it back into the pan. Cover the pan and cook until golden on the second side and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Slice and serve while still warm or at room temperature.




Comments

Popular Posts