Focaccia




When I was little my mum always made her own bread . I have lovely memories
of the dough proving in the airing cupboard and mum making the fresh bread buns and loaves daily.  I can smell and taste them now. We learnt how to make beautiful Swiss plaited loaves, golden in colour, egg glazed, which was crisp on the outside and soft and billowy on the inside. I wish we still had that recipe. I've never really  got into bread making .  I do own a bread maker, which like most people was used very often initially and then less frequently, and then not at all.    
My sister in law made focaccia at the weekend when we were in London. I pretty much ate the whole loaf. It was delicious, very light and just streets ahead of any shop bought focaccia I have had. Ady said it was easy to make so  I was determined to have a go. I followed a different recipe as I didn't seem to have the right amount of yeast for the recipe she used by Skye McAlpine. The recipe I used was a BBC food recipe . I wasn't very hopeful when the dough was so sticky I couldn't even knead it well.  I also didn't think it had risen at all. I find the proving side of bread making difficult.  I thought I might as well bake it anyway as I'd got so far. On removing the tins from the oven they looked slightly overdone and very crispy on top. However as it cooled it softened. It wasn't long before I cut into it and was really pleasantly surprised. Although more like a ciabatta because it wasn't as light as focaccia it tasted really good. Tonight I'll just have focaccia for dinner, maybe with a piece of cheese, perfect. 

I'm not going to specify a recipe as there are so many to choose from on the internet and I really didn't find this one particularly great. Even though the end result was good . 




Comments

Popular Posts