Flourless Coconut and Lime Cake


I purchased a cookery book called "Tanya Bakes', by Tanya Burr in the charity shop the other day for a £1. A cookbook for a pound is a pound well spent. This recipe jumped out at me straight away as I was having friends around for lunch and one of my friends is gluten free. I could see when I put the mixture in the tin that isn't wasn't going to be a deep cake and once out the oven I was quite disappointed with the look of it. It hadn't risen much at all and looked decidedly flat to me. So instead of the icing the recipe recommended I thought I'd make it look larger and more impressive with lime butter cream. I wasn't really expecting much from the cake given the look of it but was really pleasantly surprised when I tasted it . Infact it was a really lovely cake and I made it again for my sisters birthday the following day . She said it was a close second behind the sticky ginger cake. 

Ingredients
Serves 8-10
150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
150g golden caster sugar
4 eggs
150g ground almonds
100g desiccated coconut
Zest and juice of 1 lime

For the topping
200g icing sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lime
A sprinkling of coconut flakes

Method
Heat the oven to 180ºC . Grease and line a 21cm round, deep, loose-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, ground almonds, desiccated coconut and the lime juice and zest.

Pour into the cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through. Cool in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.




Comments

Popular Posts