Duck Breast with Morello cherry sauce


I'm feeling that my posts are few and far between theses days, so here is a very easy meal I cooked a few weeks ago. 

I bought two duck breasts and a jar of Bonne Maman Morello Cherry jam in Tesco. Duck is not something I eat very often at home, but I would choose it in a restaurant for a change. I felt this was restaurant quality for a fraction of the price. It was so easy too. 

Heat the oven to 180ºC. Score the fat of the duck and season with salt and pepper. Put the duck breasts in a pan without oil and fry the duck skin side down until brown and crisp about 6-8 mins. Turn the duck over and sear the other side in the sizzling fat for 30 seconds.  Place the duck breasts skin side up in a warm roasting dish in the oven and finish cooking, about 5-6 mins for pink or 10-12 mins for well done.  Meanwhile put a few heaped tablespoons of cherry jam in a saucepan with some red wine and seasoning and gently heat. Cook the vegetables of your choice. It is important to let the duck rest once it is out of the oven for about 10 mins, wrapped in foil. Once the duck has rested, slice into large slices (so it doesn't cool too quickly), put on a warm plate and pour over the sauce and add your vegetables. Enjoy the wonderful sweetness of the sauce with the gaminess of the duck. 

Comments

Popular Posts