Hairy Dieters Chicken Bhuna



As with all of the curry recipes I have tried from The Hairy Dieters cook books, the lower calorie content doesn't mean a scrimp on flavour. I made this curry on Friday night for dinner and finished it last night. As usual with curries they are usually better on the second day. I added a chopped red chilli to make it more spicy the second time around, as I felt it needed it. We had an Indian takeaway the week previously which resulted in  three out of four of us suffering  from very upset stomachs the next day. I know what I'd rather be eating. This recipe is from the 'Hairy Dieters, Eat for Life', cookbook.

Ingredients
Serves 4
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 x red, orange and green pepper
40g fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
2 medium onions, quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp mild curry powder
2 tsp garam masala
 ½ tsp hot chilli powder (more if you want hotter)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
400g can of chopped tomatoes
600ml of chicken stock, made with one stock cube
1 tbsp of caster sugar
2 tbsp of cold water
1 tbsp cornflour
Fresh coriander to garnish, optional
Flaked sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper


Method
Put the chicken thighs on a board and trim off any visible fat with good kitchen scissors, then cut each chicken thigh into 3 pieces. Season with lots of freshly ground black pepper. Deseed the peppers and cut them into chunks of 3cm . Set aside.

Cut the ginger into small pieces and put then into a food processor. Add the onion quarters, garlic, curry powder, garam masala and chilli powder and blitz until everything is finely blended. You may need to remove the lid and push the mixture down with a rubber spatula. If you don't have a food processor, coarsely grate the onion and finely grate the ginger and garlic, then mix with the spices in a bowl.

Heat the oil in a large non stick saucepan. Add the spiced onion paste and cook it over a medium heat for 10 minutes until softened and lightly browned, stirring regularly. Tip the tomatoes into the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the chicken and peppers to the curry sauce and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. add the chicken stock and sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender, stirring occasionally.

Mix the cornflour with the water and stir the mixture into the sauce. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with fresh coriander if you like. . 



Comments

  1. I am so pleased you have started cooking from Eat for Life. I love your blog and that book! Try the chicken provencal and the tuna with ratatouille. Both are great and when cooking them, I was thinking they would be the sort of thing that you would blog about :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just seen your comment, thank you, I appreciate it. I'm pleased you like my blog. I'm going to try and post a bit more regularly as I tailed off a bit last year. I must admit I have used the first hairy dieters cook book much more than the second. But recommendations are greatly appreciated and I'll give them a go

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this receipe I love a curry now and again but so wanted to find a dieters one.Many thanks.I live alone so have to cut down to just two meals one to eat and one to put in freezer.Maybe they will do a book for two in future.Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. I love the hairy dieters recipes . I really need to do more of them now I have hit 50. They have great flavour and I certainly don't feel I'm eating something lower in calories. I would certainly recommend the cookbooks.

      Delete
  3. Thank you sharing this information, thanks. I will come back again for more interesting stuffs like this one, you got earlier.
    best ever vegetarian chilli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts